In Episode 2 of the Disruptors for Good podcast I spoke with Bas Van Abel, founder of Fairphone.
Fairphone is a certified B-corp and has created the world’s first ethical smartphone. Created in 2013, Fairphone launched the movement for fairer electronics. The company makes a positive impact across the value chain in mining, design, manufacturing and life cycle, while expanding the market for products that put ethical values first.
The company believes in sourcing conflict-free materials that support local economies, not armed militias. Fairphone works closely with manufacturers that want to invest in employee well being and ethical worker practices. The company is also addressing the full lifespan of mobile phones, including use, reuse and safe recycling programs that make it easy to recycle your Fairphone, so the parts can be re-purposed and not end up in landfills and the ocean.
Topics we talk about:
- The complexity of how cell phones are created
- Fair trade materials and supply chains
- Fairphone coming to the Untied States
- The affects on mental health for entrepreneurs
- Potential new Fairphone products
- Crowdfunding and Equity Crowdfunding
- This Startup Captures Harmful CO2 from the Atmosphere to Create the World’s First Carbon-Negative Diamonds
- Cope Notes is on a Mission to Scale Mental Health Support to Millions Around the World
- The Valentine’s Day Gift Guide For Conscious Consumers (2021)
- On Deck is Building a World Class Community of Ambitious People to Launch and Scale Big Ideas
- 32 Nonprofit Leaders Who Will Impact the World in 2021
Founder of Causeartist and Impact Recipe // Social Entrepreneur