In episode 6 of the Impact India podcast, I connect with Sanvar Oberoi, co-founder of BOHECO, Bombay Hemp Company, India’s FIRST hemp and cannabis company.
The social enterprise has helped central and state governments in creating policies, giving license’s, and developing the R&D building blocks needed to build an industry. They also empower farmers by encouraging them to utilize wild hemp growing in their districts. Recently, in addition to their two hemp licenses, they now are the only company licensed to work with medical cannabis in India.
Sanvar heads finance and corporate strategy for BOHECO, as well as co-leads BOHECO Innovation Lab. He is a PhD research scholar in Business Economics and has been awarded the Forbes Asia 30 under 30, INK, RajeevCircle, and Ashoka fellowships on behalf of BOHECO (NO BIG DEAL, RIGHT?!).
In this episode, Sanvar dives into the start-up journey of BOHECO, the history of cannabis consumption in India, how BOHECO has been breaking the stigma around cannabis consumption, and innovating B2B and B2C products.
Tune in to learn:
- The many uses of the cannabis plant
- How people have perceived the growth of hemp production in India
- And why Sanvar actually loves the government of India (he has a very valid reason!)
PLUS, Sanvar reveals what’s next for BOHECO this September (and we’re the first to know about it!).
Connect with Sanvar and the BOHECO team at boheco.org or on social media.
- 6 Trending GoFundMe Campaigns Helping Industries Impacted by COVID-19
- How to Make an Impact as a Social Entrepreneur During COVID-19
- Buy Local and Social: 13 Social Enterprises to Support Amidst COVID-19
- Discussing The Impact of COVID-19 on Different Sectors of Our Society
- Meet the Female Founder on a Mission to Bring Health and Wellness to 10 Million Children
What's Your Reaction?
I am a social entrepreneur. That means I use business as a catalyst for social goodness. I am deeply passionate about sustainable travel, zero waste living, ethical fashion and social good. I currently run North India's first zero waste guesthouse, Hara House, and am the Content Director at Causeartist.