In episode 6 of the Impact India podcast, I connect with Sanvar Oberoi, co-founder of BOHECO, Bombay Hemp Company, India’s FIRST hemp and cannabis company.
The social enterprise has helped central and state governments in creating policies, giving license’s, and developing the R&D building blocks needed to build an industry. They also empower farmers by encouraging them to utilize wild hemp growing in their districts. Recently, in addition to their two hemp licenses, they now are the only company licensed to work with medical cannabis in India.
Sanvar heads finance and corporate strategy for BOHECO, as well as co-leads BOHECO Innovation Lab. He is a PhD research scholar in Business Economics and has been awarded the Forbes Asia 30 under 30, INK, RajeevCircle, and Ashoka fellowships on behalf of BOHECO (NO BIG DEAL, RIGHT?!).
In this episode, Sanvar dives into the start-up journey of BOHECO, the history of cannabis consumption in India, how BOHECO has been breaking the stigma around cannabis consumption, and innovating B2B and B2C products.
Tune in to learn:
- The many uses of the cannabis plant
- How people have perceived the growth of hemp production in India
- And why Sanvar actually loves the government of India (he has a very valid reason!)
PLUS, Sanvar reveals what’s next for BOHECO this September (and we’re the first to know about it!).
Connect with Sanvar and the BOHECO team at boheco.org or on social media.
- Marketplace of the Future Invites You To The World’s Fair of Sustainability
- 13 Incredible Artivists Using Recycled Materials in Their Creations
- Meet the Female Founder Investing in a Low-Carbon Economy & Healthy Living
- IX Water Reaches $350,000 Milestone in Its Crowdfunding Campaign To Support Its Innovative CleanTech Products For Industrial Wastewater
- How New Profit is Using Venture Philanthropy to Upskill Low-Income and Entry-Level Workers at Scale
Jazz is one of the leading pioneers of the zero waste travel movement in India and the Director of Content at Causeartist. She is the co-founder of Hara House, India's first zero waste guesthouse, and Director of Hara World, an experiential education and impact travel organization for diverse young changemakers. Jazz is deeply passionate about empowering young people to become confident and knowledgeable leaders for sustainable development, zero waste living, conscious fashion, and responsible travel. She is a co-founder of Sustainable Travel Network, and host of the Impact India podcast.. Connect with Jazz at firstname.lastname@example.org